Friday 16 April 2010

Reflections passing by...

Today we helped an old woman cross a road. My son was tired and I was struggling to cross the busy junction of Theberton Street and Upper Street holding him in my arms whilst attempting to push his buggy onwards. Her peacock blue cardigan and apple green t-shirt walked comfortably before her shuffle. We made eye contact and exchanged a smile as we passed each other. A catch in the air made me turn and check. Standing at the edge of the road, like a hummingbird hovering, trying to attract a passer-by and they passed her by. Not one took notice of this fragile hummingbird. I left my buggy stranded in the middle of the pavement and took her arm. My son, in my arms, quiet now and still. She was light and relaxed into the aid she needed, we helped her to the dentist office as the door closed on her brightness my son (3 days off being 2) said 'helped a lady cross the road'. Strange that he knew we were helping at such a tender age yet all those passer-her-bys could not recognise her need.


Ooops, so soon I break my own rules... in the breaking of rules lie the beginnings of innovation...


No comments: